DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES
A map has one purpose -- to convey geographic information about a place or a topic. The most elegant maps present complex information cleanly and simply, with economy of line and typeface, and without extraneous graphics.
- I will provide you with the map you need, at the scale that works for the size of your publication, with all the data you wish to include (that can be realistically be included in the given scale), at a reasonable price.
- I will work with your publishers or book designers to navigate the ocean of software and hardware variables and provide them with the format they need. If the map is for a thesis or disseration, I'll provide it to you in whatever format you require to drop into your document. I'll provide additional versions in whatever format you desire at no additional cost, such as a jpeg version for posting on a Web site.
- If you can get a map for your needs more easily and cheaply from another source, I will tell you.
What you need to give me to enable me to give you an estimate and create your map(s):
- The geographic range -- part of a town or county, all of a town or county, multiple counties, a region, the state, or multiple states.
- The page size of your publication -- 6 x 9 inches, 8 x 10 inches, etc.
- What general features you desire -- are rivers, creeks, and other natural features important to your story? Past and/or present railroads? How much road information (modern and/or historic roads) is needed?
- What is the map "about"? What special features, places, locations, etc. do you want shown and highlighted on the map?
Some clients provide me with a base map of some sort (it can be of any size or scale) with the critical sites or locations relevant to their topic roughly marked on it. Alternatively, once you give me the geographic range and I create a general map to your scale, you can mark it up, and we'll work back and forth by email or fax until you have what you want.
I know North Carolina intimately, and also know my way around the State Archives. If you are willing to pay for my time, I will do research in the historic map collection in the Archives or provide other related research. I will make field inspections of sites on your map if you desire and will pay me for my time and travel.
I'm something of an artist (if I do say so myself) and will do other types of graphics: schematic drawings, charts, graphs, etc.
What I Don't Do
I don't do large folding maps. The largest map I will make is ledger size, 11" x 17". I mostly work in the opposite direction -- taking a large map and working it down to a scale that will fit in a book, journal, or dissertation and still contain the essential information and remain legible.
I don't design brochures or the like. I'll make a small map to drop into a brochure that someone else is designing.
Home * Services * Samples * Technical Info * About/Contact Michael T. Southern